[SCRUMDEVELOPMENT] What is agile?
Michael Wollin yahoo@mercurysw.com [SCRUMDEVELOPMENT]
2018-05-01 06:06:32 UTC
My definition and description of agile. Thought some of you might be interested or want to comment.

What is agile?

The domain of Agile is in organizational structures, things like creating cross-functional teams that get things to production in very short cycles. Management gets out of the way and also gets anything else out of the way that impedes the people doing the actual work. This is akin to the world and mindset of lean manufacturing. New roles emerge and old roles and their career paths go away. It’s highly disruptive to adopt.

The critical element is self-managing teams that are free to experiment in a safe space with different ways of working together. Through enlightened trial and error their performance improves. Similarly, the other key idea is that no one actually knows what the product will look like at inception, certainly not in any detail. Customers and development teams collaborate to discover what the product wants to be along the way. Moreover, the world changes while you are doing that and so
 business agility is the ability to turn on a dime for a dime (Larman).

Agile is quite simply a set of principles and values that guide you in conducting small experiments on two levels, discovering what the product is that the customer wants and discovering better ways of working together.
'Alexander Kriegisch' Kriegisch@Scrum-Master.de [SCRUMDEVELOPMENT]
2018-05-01 06:17:35 UTC
Dear Michael,

I think this is a good explanation of what agile is all about. I am not
sure if it is *the* definition, but you did not claim it was. You merely
said it was *your* definition.

Knowing as much about agile values, principles and practices as many
people in this group, probably every experienced coach or practitioner
could come up with other ways of explaining what agile is and the other
definitions/explanations might be just as valid as yours, accentuating
different nuances. I believe that a good explanation or definition also
depends on the audience because it wants to make a positive impact on
them, considering their previous work experience as well as their
contextual knowledge about agile or lack thereof.

Imagining I was a newbie taking his first agile training class, I think
I would be well guided in thinking through the meaning of your words and
trying to adopt the principles you explained so well. For me this makes
it a good explanation. Consequently I am thanking you.

Kind regards
--
Alexander Kriegisch
https://scrum-master.de
working together.
Michael Wollin yahoo@mercurysw.com [SCRUMDEVELOPMENT]
working together.
'rodayo@yahoo.com' rodayo@yahoo.com [SCRUMDEVELOPMENT]
2018-05-01 10:29:40 UTC
I would agree.

Agile Coaching is sharing ideas and mapping out a solution

On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 2:06 AM, Michael Wollin ***@mercurysw.com [SCRUMDEVELOPMENT]<***@yahoogroups.com> wrote: My definition and description of agile. Thought some of you might be interested or want to comment.

Yahoo Groups Links
'Richard Hundhausen' richard@accentient.com [SCRUMDEVELOPMENT]
2018-05-01 12:44:37 UTC
I recently sat through a class by Craig Larman and it’s interesting that he prefers to use the (original) term adaptive, rather than agile.

He definitely used the “turn on a dime, for a dime” phrase several times.

Markus Gaertner mgaertne@gmail.com [SCRUMDEVELOPMENT]
2018-05-01 12:45:39 UTC
I can second that based upon two trainings I attended with Craig. :)

Best
Markus

Save our Scrum: http://leanpub.com/saveourscrum
--
Dipl.-Inform. Markus Gaertner
Author of ATDD by Example - A Practical Guide to Acceptance Test-Driven

http://www.shino.de/blog
http://www.mgaertne.de
http://www.it-agile.de
marcodorantes@hotmail.com [SCRUMDEVELOPMENT]
2018-05-01 14:29:29 UTC
Great question, Michael. What is agile? Where does it come from? Since the discussions at Rational OTUG mailing list back in 1997, I try to keep open questions like those. What is object orientation? What are patterns?, and so on...

The talk by James Coplien last year at GOTO 2017 helps to think harder on that kind of questions:

Polymorphism is GOTO on steroids
https://blogs.wandisco.com/polymorphism-is-goto-on-steroids/ https://blogs.wandisco.com/polymorphism-is-goto-on-steroids/
marcodorantes@hotmail.com [SCRUMDEVELOPMENT]
2018-05-01 14:50:51 UTC
For the record, let me please share a direct link to James Coplien's talk:

GOTO 2017 • The Dehumanisation of Agile and Objects • James Coplien
http://youtu.be/ZrBQmIDdls4
dave.barrett@lawpro.ca [SCRUMDEVELOPMENT]
2018-05-02 16:15:44 UTC
I'm struggling to see value in this definition beyond the content contained in the two pages on Agile Manifesto website. I had to go back and look at it, which I recommend that everyone do from time to time, and it really does seem complete and clear even after all of these years.

Items that aren't included on the Manifesto site, like "creating cross-functional teams", aren't really part of Agile, IMHO. This one in particular seems like a bit of a pipe dream, really. People aren't fungible resources and shouldn't be organized like they are. And, surely the principle that, "The best architectures, requirements, and designs emerge from self-organizing teams.", would win out if the team decided that it wanted to work in a very siloed manner?

I'm not trying to be hyper-critical, but one of the big issues we have in the Agile/Scrum world seems be competing definitions about fundamental concepts. Here we have 4 main clauses in the Manifesto, and 12 underlying principles. It's short, simple and the implications are fairly obvious.

If there was one explanatory item that I'd ever feel was needed it would be this: Users never really fully engage in the software design process until you give them working software to interact with. Requirements, white-board diagrams, meetings, demos, mock-ups, prototypes or any other aid you can try will not elicit the input that you need from the customer to build the right software. The only defense against this is write a minimal amount of working software and get it into the customers hands as soon as possible, then listen to what they say.

It's clear to me that the authors of the manifesto completely understood this. The first 4 principles are all about making that happen.

dave
Michael Wollin yahoo@mercurysw.com [SCRUMDEVELOPMENT]
\
rafael.buzon@gmail.com [SCRUMDEVELOPMENT]
2018-05-03 12:58:44 UTC
Hi everyone,

Firstly, I have to say that we see a lot of trivialisation regarding this matter. It seems like everything that is good fall into the "Agile-box" and what is not good in the "traditional-waterfall-box". At least here in Brazil.

When we ask people what Agile is, we usually get answers around "adaptative", "easy to change", "small feedback loops", "fit to purpose", "collaboration", "understand the customer" and some others more passionate ones. But all of these properties was already there before Agile was born.

So, I was wondering how a scientist would measure whether Agile is been effective. How to set the boundaries and not fall into ambiguity or in particular perceptions.

Then I sketched out a particular understanding about what Agile is, and what makes Agile unique, for me, is the sum of those properties, that is represented on the manifesto. So, Agile would be to seek the Agile manifesto values and principles. And that could be measure against actions toward this goal. What bring us to consider that might also exist levels of intensity using and seeking Agile.

If Agile is to adapt to customers, we already had that before. If it is to deliver value or respond to change, also. But if the context is seeking actively to address all the 4 values of the manifesto, using particular practices and techniques, that is a different approach that we can call Agile.

I recognize, though, that is easier to say that someone or some company is doing Agile, even if they don't follow what I said before. And I have no problems with that. The Agile movement spread some good practices and made them popular and took the credit. That is apparently doing good to the practicioners.

***

Another concern that arises from this rational is whether any context could be Agile. And the way I see, it couldn't. Applying Agile to some deterministic nature works might result in waste. The contexts that benefits from experimentation, that ones, would be eligible to be and use Agile.

Bests,
Rafael Buzon

\
'Alexander Kriegisch' Kriegisch@Scrum-Master.de [SCRUMDEVELOPMENT]
2018-05-03 13:44:05 UTC
Hi Rafael.

I am actually tired of hearing or reading this "oh, all that agile stuff
was there before Agile". Yes, it was there, but

a) nobody did it consequently in the combination that comprises Agile
(not even the practices, not to mention principles and values
underneath) and

b) it is still not done by many organisations today which claim to be
agile.

Oh, and BTW: You cannot "do Agile", only be agile.

Disclaimer: I do understand that you embrace the Agile Manifesto in its
full beauty, so this is not to say that I think you don't "get it". I am
just saying I am tired of this line of rationale. ;-)

Kind regards
--
Alexander Kriegisch
https://scrum-master.de
\
Steve Ropa steveropa@gmail.com [SCRUMDEVELOPMENT]
2018-05-03 14:39:26 UTC
This is what I don’t get. If we had all that before, why did anyone say “something needs to change”? And so many people said it that we ended up with the Agile movement. From my recollection of those days, we didn’t have all that before. We had pockets of things that seemed to work, but on the whole we were floundering as an industry. Every Agile leader I’ve talked to has agreed that the individual practices might not be brand spanking new(at the time) but the usage and approach is absolutely unique and revolutionary.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

\
rafael.buzon@gmail.com [SCRUMDEVELOPMENT]
2018-05-04 11:35:18 UTC
OK. I understand your concern, but don't create a straw man.

My point was not to diminish the Agile Movement or its credits, as you could read, but to criticize the trivialization on applying the "Agile Badge" to anything. So I tried (maybe not successfully) set some bounderies.

I do think that without the Agile Movement grouping and presenting all that together, we woundn't have the revolution we had. Like Steve Ropa said here, they stood up and said “something needs to change”.

I am also tired of hearing that Agile is a mindset.... or a way of thinking... like it was some kind of religion or a very abstract think. Ok, the values are inspirational, but you also can measure that on practice.

Best,
Buzon

https://scrum-master.de https://scrum-master.de
\
Michael Wollin yahoo@mercurysw.com [SCRUMDEVELOPMENT]
2018-05-04 17:06:14 UTC
I agree, Rafael. In my experience, I have not seen promulgating “Agile is a mindset” produce a tangible result. Not that it can’t; I just haven’t seen it. I myself fell into the trap of viewing Agile as a “sprit,” a way of being and acting. That is, until a voice in my head said. “You have much to learn, Grasshopper.”

This thread started with my sharing the current state of my evolving way of framing and explaining the essence of this movement to professional people (assuming some corporate culture awareness) who are not involved with product development and want to know what I do. I din’t explain that when I posted it and so, for good or bad, inadvertently also caused a branch conversation about what is Agile. :)
2018-05-05 03:39:18 UTC
Post by Michael Wollin ***@mercurysw.com [SCRUMDEVELOPMENT]
I agree, Rafael. In my experience, I have not seen promulgating
“Agile is a mindsetï¿œ? produce a tangible result. Not that it
can’t; I just haven’t seen it. I myself fell into the trap of
viewing Agile as a “sprit,ï¿œ? a way of being and acting. That is,
until a voice in my head said. “You have much to learn,
Grasshopper.ᅵ?
Post by ***@gmail.com [SCRUMDEVELOPMENT]
I am also tired of hearing that Agile is a mindset.... or a way of
thinking... like it was some kind of religion or a very abstract
think. Ok, the values are inspirational, but you also can measure
that on practice.
Michael, Rafael, that's not what I said. I said you cannot just "do
agile", you can only be agile. That means that you get only shallow
drill or cargo cult if practicing agile without internalising agile
values and principles. Tthat something you want to do well needs a
specific type of mindset does not make it a religion. It applies to
everything you want to do well. You want to be the best chef, tennis
player, violinist, but don't have the mindset it takes? You want to be
good at a team sport like football (soccer) but don't know how to work
in a team? Good luck!

I also did not say you cannot measure anything in Agile. Why do we use
burndown charts, measure velocity, review the product with the client in
short intervals, review the way we build things and collaborate as teams
in retrospectives? Because we like to know where we are standing and how
we can or even have to improve.

Of course, even if you are a software developer who understands the
Agile Manifesto right after first reading it, you are not a successful
agile dev immediately because you have many practices to learn: clean
code, TDD, pair programming, test automation, CI/CD - you name it.
--
Alexander Kriegisch
https://scrum-master.de
Michael Wollin yahoo@mercurysw.com [SCRUMDEVELOPMENT]
2018-05-05 03:51:00 UTC
This thread has taken a left turn from what I started with. Not a bad conversation but not what I was looking for. Thank you. I appreciate all the well-considered thoughts and opinions.
Scott Griffin griffin8r73@yahoo.com [SCRUMDEVELOPMENT]
2018-05-03 01:44:22 UTC
BTW, the answer to "What is Agile" is answered eloquently by one of the signers of the original manifesto here:  GOTO 2015 • Agile is Dead • Pragmatic Dave Thomas

| | |

| |
GOTO 2015 • Agile is Dead • Pragmatic Dave Thomas

This presentation was recorded at GOTO Amsterdam 2015 http://gotoams.nl Pragmatic Dave Thomas - Pragmatic Progra...

#yiv4433192394 #yiv4433192394 -- #yiv4433192394ygrp-mkp {border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:10px 0;padding:0 10px;}#yiv4433192394 #yiv4433192394ygrp-mkp hr {border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}#yiv4433192394 #yiv4433192394ygrp-mkp #yiv4433192394hd {color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:700;line-height:122%;margin:10px 0;}#yiv4433192394 #yiv4433192394ygrp-mkp #yiv4433192394ads {margin-bottom:10px;}#yiv4433192394 #yiv4433192394ygrp-mkp .yiv4433192394ad {padding:0 0;}#yiv4433192394 #yiv4433192394ygrp-mkp .yiv4433192394ad p {margin:0;}#yiv4433192394 #yiv4433192394ygrp-mkp .yiv4433192394ad a {color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}#yiv4433192394 #yiv4433192394ygrp-sponsor #yiv4433192394ygrp-lc {font-family:Arial;}#yiv4433192394 #yiv4433192394ygrp-sponsor #yiv4433192394ygrp-lc #yiv4433192394hd {margin:10px 0px;font-weight:700;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;}#yiv4433192394 #yiv4433192394ygrp-sponsor #yiv4433192394ygrp-lc .yiv4433192394ad {margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}#yiv4433192394 #yiv4433192394actions {font-family:Verdana;font-size:11px;padding:10px 0;}#yiv4433192394 #yiv4433192394activity {background-color:#e0ecee;float:left;font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;padding:10px;}#yiv4433192394 #yiv4433192394activity span {font-weight:700;}#yiv4433192394 #yiv4433192394activity span:first-child {text-transform:uppercase;}#yiv4433192394 #yiv4433192394activity span a {color:#5085b6;text-decoration:none;}#yiv4433192394 #yiv4433192394activity span span {color:#ff7900;}#yiv4433192394 #yiv4433192394activity span .yiv4433192394underline {text-decoration:underline;}#yiv4433192394 .yiv4433192394attach {clear:both;display:table;font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;padding:10px 0;width:400px;}#yiv4433192394 .yiv4433192394attach div a {text-decoration:none;}#yiv4433192394 .yiv4433192394attach img {border:none;padding-right:5px;}#yiv4433192394 .yiv4433192394attach label {display:block;margin-bottom:5px;}#yiv4433192394 .yiv4433192394attach label a {text-decoration:none;}#yiv4433192394 blockquote {margin:0 0 0 4px;}#yiv4433192394 .yiv4433192394bold {font-family:Arial;font-size:13px;font-weight:700;}#yiv4433192394 .yiv4433192394bold a {text-decoration:none;}#yiv4433192394 dd.yiv4433192394last p a {font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}#yiv4433192394 dd.yiv4433192394last p span {margin-right:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}#yiv4433192394 dd.yiv4433192394last p span.yiv4433192394yshortcuts {margin-right:0;}#yiv4433192394 div.yiv4433192394attach-table div div a {text-decoration:none;}#yiv4433192394 div.yiv4433192394attach-table {width:400px;}#yiv4433192394 div.yiv4433192394file-title a, #yiv4433192394 div.yiv4433192394file-title a:active, #yiv4433192394 div.yiv4433192394file-title a:hover, #yiv4433192394 div.yiv4433192394file-title a:visited {text-decoration:none;}#yiv4433192394 div.yiv4433192394photo-title a, #yiv4433192394 div.yiv4433192394photo-title a:active, #yiv4433192394 div.yiv4433192394photo-title a:hover, #yiv4433192394 div.yiv4433192394photo-title a:visited {text-decoration:none;}#yiv4433192394 div#yiv4433192394ygrp-mlmsg #yiv4433192394ygrp-msg p a span.yiv4433192394yshortcuts {font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;font-weight:normal;}#yiv4433192394 .yiv4433192394green {color:#628c2a;}#yiv4433192394 .yiv4433192394MsoNormal {margin:0 0 0 0;}#yiv4433192394 o {font-size:0;}#yiv4433192394 #yiv4433192394photos div {float:left;width:72px;}#yiv4433192394 #yiv4433192394photos div div {border:1px solid #666666;min-height:62px;overflow:hidden;width:62px;}#yiv4433192394 #yiv4433192394photos div label {color:#666666;font-size:10px;overflow:hidden;text-align:center;white-space:nowrap;width:64px;}#yiv4433192394 #yiv4433192394reco-category {font-size:77%;}#yiv4433192394 #yiv4433192394reco-desc {font-size:77%;}#yiv4433192394 .yiv4433192394replbq {margin:4px;}#yiv4433192394 #yiv4433192394ygrp-actbar div a:first-child {margin-right:2px;padding-right:5px;}#yiv4433192394 #yiv4433192394ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px;font-family:Arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}#yiv4433192394 #yiv4433192394ygrp-mlmsg table {font-size:inherit;font:100%;}#yiv4433192394 #yiv4433192394ygrp-mlmsg select, #yiv4433192394 input, #yiv4433192394 textarea {font:99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}#yiv4433192394 #yiv4433192394ygrp-mlmsg pre, #yiv4433192394 code {font:115% monospace;}#yiv4433192394 #yiv4433192394ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}#yiv4433192394 #yiv4433192394ygrp-mlmsg #yiv4433192394logo {padding-bottom:10px;}#yiv4433192394 #yiv4433192394ygrp-msg p a {font-family:Verdana;}#yiv4433192394 #yiv4433192394ygrp-msg p#yiv4433192394attach-count span {color:#1E66AE;font-weight:700;}#yiv4433192394 #yiv4433192394ygrp-reco #yiv4433192394reco-head {color:#ff7900;font-weight:700;}#yiv4433192394 #yiv4433192394ygrp-reco {margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}#yiv4433192394 #yiv4433192394ygrp-sponsor #yiv4433192394ov li a {font-size:130%;text-decoration:none;}#yiv4433192394 #yiv4433192394ygrp-sponsor #yiv4433192394ov li {font-size:77%;list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;}#yiv4433192394 #yiv4433192394ygrp-sponsor #yiv4433192394ov ul {margin:0;padding:0 0 0 8px;}#yiv4433192394 #yiv4433192394ygrp-text {font-family:Georgia;}#yiv4433192394 #yiv4433192394ygrp-text p {margin:0 0 1em 0;}#yiv4433192394 #yiv4433192394ygrp-text tt {font-size:120%;}#yiv4433192394 #yiv4433192394ygrp-vital ul li:last-child {border-right:none !important;}#yiv4433192394
Michael James mj4scrum@gmail.com [SCRUMDEVELOPMENT]
2018-05-03 02:56:52 UTC
Scott Griffin griffin8r73@yahoo.com [SCRUMDEVELOPMENT]
2018-05-02 18:25:34 UTC
To me, as I've been immersed in it for the last year, Agile Development is all about being able to turn the entire team on a dime based on changing customer requirements.  Beyond that it's all semantics and One-True-Wayism...